Re: Recommended directory handling for games?

From: Bernd Jendrissek
Subject: Re: Recommended directory handling for games?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:19:07 +0200

On Jan 15, 2008 4:40 PM, Kevin Locke <address@hidden> wrote:
> When installing binaries and data files for a game, what are the
> recommended practices?  The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard[1] (and
> traditional practice) suggests that game binaries should be installed
> into /usr/local/games and data files in /usr/local/share/games.  I am
> wondering how to best achieve this with autoconf & automake.
[...]
> Finally, is any of this really necessary?  Although it is mentioned in
> the FHS, the GNU standards don't appear to make any statement about
> the location of games and game data.  Do systems other than Linux tend
> to make this distinction?  If so, might it be a useful installation
> directory variable for future versions of autoconf?

IMHO, this practice should be for the installer / packager to worry
about, not the package author.  I'd say: just keep installing your
binaries into ${bindir} as for any other autoconfiscated package.
Then, if/when you make a binary package for one of the distros, add
all the weird options such as:

  ./configure --bindir=/usr/[local/]games
--datarootdir=/usr/share/games --localstatedir=/var/games