Re: Can't open configure

From: Paulo J. Matos
Subject: Re: Can't open configure
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:26:14 +0000

On Jan 28, 2008 8:18 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:

> According to Paulo J. Matos on 1/28/2008 1:06 PM:
> | Hi all,
> |
> | I never had this issue and I can't understand the problem. I'm getting
> | the following in a certain project:
> | $ autoreconf
> | /usr/share/aclocal/soup.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_SOUP
> | /usr/share/aclocal/soup.m4:7:   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
> | /usr/share/aclocal/soup.m4:7:   or see
> | http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
>
> Did you write AM_PATH_SOUP, or did it come as part of some other package?
> ~ If the latter, then forward this mail on to the author of that file, and
> point them to the link in the error message.  Meanwhile, you can make the
> warning go away by writing:
>
> AC_DEFINE([AM_PATH_SOUP],

Thanks but this is not mine. It seems to be a soup project:
net-libs/soup-0.7.11-r1 which owns the file.

> rather than the current
> AC_DEFINE(AM_PATH_SOUP,
>
> Also, it is generally a bad idea for macros to use someone else's
> namespace - the AM_* namespace is primarily for automake, but automake
> does not own the AM_PATH_SOUP macro.  Whoever wrote the macro should
> consider renaming it into a different, distinct namespace.

I'll try to contact the author.

> | acinclude.m4:6593: the serial number must appear before any macro definition
>
> This warning means that the file contains a line that looks somewhat like
> # serial nnn
> but that there were instances of AC_DEFINE prior to the serial number.  To
> avoid this warning, move the serial number line up to the front of the
> file, before any macros are defined.

It wasn't me who created the file, why should I manually edit it?

> | autom4te-2.61: cannot open configure: Permission denied
> | autoreconf-2.61: /usr/bin/autoconf-2.61 failed with exit status: 1
> |
> | What could be behind this?
>
> That is your actual error (the others were just warnings).  What are the
> permissions on configure (if it exists), and on the directory where it is
> supposed to be created?  Could it be that you have a read-only source
> directory?

Nope, I don't understand. Everything is rw. Probably I'll try to
delete all the and create them again.

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk
http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/pocm
PhD Student @ ECS