RE: _AS_LN_S_PREPARE question

From: Duft Markus
Subject: RE: _AS_LN_S_PREPARE question
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 07:59:48 +0100

Hi Ralf!

Ralf Wildenhues <mailto:address@hidden> wrote:

> Is there a LD_PRELOAD-like mechanism on windows, by which you can
> intercept all open-like library calls?
> <http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/nt/DLL_PRELOAD/> suggests there isn't
> one.

Hm, i implemented LD_PRELOAD fully, but by concept this can only work at
shared library boundaries (i'm generating code with parity that does all
the shared library loading, which is capable of LD_PRELOAD, LD_BIND_NOW,
LD_BIND_LAYZ and such things :) just runtime linking like behaviour is
missing right now, but i have a patch waiting for this...).

> Why does MS not provide a compiler fully capable of working in the
> Interix environment in the first place, by the way?

They do provide gcc 3.3, which works quite fine. Also i have gcc 4.2.2
compiled and working, but still we need native windows binaries (with no
dependencies to things like cygwin1.dll, just plain Windows with
msvcrt.dll) to incorporate well with our other software. Also how could
you argue for example (for the client) that you are on windows, but
can't use the windows printer spooler. Clients won't understand, that
you don't have access to it, because you just use the "wrong" compiler
for that one.

> <mode="snide remark">Can't you just use GCC on Interix?</mode>

No, see above. Also my host could also be cygwin, not only interix...

> I suppose you can work around this by putting
>   LN_S='cp -p'
>
> in a suitable config.site file.  Yes, I know that's an ugly
> workaround, but I'm running out of ideas here, sorry.

Uarg, ok... I will have a look at it... Thanks anyway.

Cheers, Markus