Ideas on cross-compile configuration and the host triplet

From: Joe Krahn
Subject: Ideas on cross-compile configuration and the host triplet
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:38:12 -0500

I recently built a cross-compile package ans saw the message "WARNING:
In the future, Autoconf will not detect cross-tools
whose name does not start with the host triplet."

I think that is probably a good idea, even though I like the short form
of "mipsel-linux". A good solution to avoid extra verbosity is just to
allow the 'unknown' tag to be blank, so the short form of
"mipsel-unknown-linux" could just be "mipsel--linux". It seems simple
enough that I wonder why that wasn't used in the first place.

It would also be nice to move forward without breaking things for most
people. (Autoconf is great when it works, and painful when it fails.)
Maybe there could be a "--host-triplet=" option in addition to "--host="
so that the triplet info can be used correctly even for not-yet
conforming cross compilers.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe Krahn