Autoconf building, linking across multiple source directories?

From: Eric Jonas
Subject: Autoconf building, linking across multiple source directories?
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:14:31 -0400

Hello! I'm trying to integrate unit testing with the boost::unit_test
framework into my autotools-using project. At the end of the day I have
two directories in my project, a "src" and a "tests", as follows:

Makefile.am

src/
   foo.cc
   bar.cc
   main.cc
   Makefile.am

tests/
   foo_test.cc
   bar_test.cc
   testrunner.cc
   Makefile.am

What I'd like to be able to do is build "testrunner" from testrunner.o,
foo_test.o, bar_test.o, and crucially, foo.o and bar.o. But I can't
figure out how to specify in the tests/Makefile.am that it depends on
object files outside of it's particular directory subtree. Ideally I'd
be able to avoid explicitly referencing each-and-every source file in
src/, as I hope to soon have a lot of them. Is this possible?

Thanks again,
                ...Eric

Eric Jonas
The Soma Project