32/64-bit systems

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: 32/64-bit systems
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:32:44 -0400

I have libiconv compiled on my Solaris systems (both sparc and x64)
with both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries.

so i have something like prefix/lib and prefix/lib/sparcv9 for sparc
and prefix/lib and prefix/lib/amd64 for x64.

The problem I'm running into, for example, trying to build gnupg
on 64-bit is that the libiconv test fails.  For some reason I've not
been able to diagnose, it always picks up the 32-bit version of
the library (despite having defined the full path of libiconv.so)
so the test fails.

ie, I set LIBICONV=/opt/foss/lib/sparcv9/libiconv.so, export it,
and run gnupg's configure.  The error I get back is that the
configure script that the ELF type is incompatible (compiling
64-bit, linking to the 32-bit library).

To be quite honest, I cannot fathom why configure itself
generates a full path to the library, instead of "-liconv"
which would work because I'm passing the right
include and ldflags to configure.  Seems like a bug to
me.

Ideas?  I've tried hacking on this stuff and am getting no where fast.

Thanks,

Ben