Re: Re: configure.ac, Makefile.am question

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Re: configure.ac, Makefile.am question
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:27:59 +0200

Hello,

* Tim Post wrote on Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 05:21:04AM CEST:

> 2 - People updating their svn / git / hg from your's may actually have
> to solve merge conflicts in configure itself, which is a __major__ pain
> in the butt. This happens if they have run 'autoreconf' themselves, or
> similar.

For what little it's worth, I've always resolved conflicts in configure
by running (the right version of) autoconf, never by examining the diff
manually.

But you have a point, it's still a pain, but could be automatized by
your merge tool.

> The best thing to do is publish it all, even if its broken and invite
> others (even on this list) to tell you why its broken and how to fix it.

Good advice.  Another one is: steal your initial build system from
projects that are slightly (or a lot) further than yours, but not
much more complex, and adjust to fit.