Autoconf and 64-bit Systems

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Autoconf and 64-bit Systems
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:53:41 -0600

Is there any way to have configure test for a 64-bit system and then
put libraries in a default place, say /usr/local/lib64, instead of the
default /usr/local/lib as so many GNU packages do at the moment?

I know I can use ./configure --libdir=/usr/local/lib64 but would like
the package to take care of that.

Or is there any way to use environment variables to set my preferences?

I'm just getting used to my new 64-bit system and am finding such
subtleties imp[ortant now in some instances [I had a build fail at the
last moment because of old habits and a failure to recognize that some
(but not all) libraries do install in "lib64" directories].

Thanks.

-Tom

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida