running tests when cross-compiling

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: running tests when cross-compiling
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:11:43 +0100

 Hello,

 Configure is smart enough to not try to run the tests when cross-compiling
which is usually, of course, the right thing to do. However in some
situations you can actually run the program even when cross-compiling: the
example which matters to me is when you cross-compile from Cygwin to
mingw32 but I could imagine that this could happen in some other situations
too, e.g. when you have an emulator for the target host on the build system
(this could happen when developing for embedded systems I suppose).

 Hence my question: is it possible to somehow indicate to configure that it
can run the binaries even when it's (formally) cross-compiling? I'd like to
avoid having to hard code the Cygwin->mingw32 exception in my own version
of AC_TRY_RUN() both because of maintenance considerations and because this
is not really specific to AC_TRY_RUN(), even if this happens to be the only
place where I run into this problem now.

 Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
VZ