Question on older version of gettext

From: Dieter Jurzitza
Subject: Question on older version of gettext
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 16:42:04 +0100

Dear listmembers,
currently I am attempting to make an old package (namely xcdroast) build and
compile with zero warnings.
Now, this package is using gettext 0.11.5 what causes 2 warnings to pop up
(they're harmless, but I'd like to know how to get rid of them):

config.status: WARNING:  po/Makefile.in.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir
setting
config.status: WARNING:  intl/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir
setting

This is caused by the fact that the package is based on gettext 0.11.5. When I
call "autoreconf" the Makefile.in and Makefile.in.in - versions of the
corresponding release get copied into the directories po and intl. At that
time the transistion to "datarootdir" hadn't taken place, so the reference is
missing. However, since those files get extracted during configuration, I
cannot patch them to contain the line

datarootdir = @datarootdir@

what would fix the warning. Well, I could patch them but it is very unusual to
patch files _after_ the autoreconf process and before calling configure ....

Just for curiousity reasons and for to learn something: is there any way to
get rid of this warning without upgrading to a more recent gettext version?

Thank you very much for looking into this,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)