Re: Library version thru autoconf ?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Library version thru autoconf ?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:33:30 +0100

Hello Sébastien, Warren, all,

> On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 11:09 -0700, Warren Young wrote:
> > Sébastien Le Roux wrote:
> > >
> > > I wonder if there is a way (a macro ?) to obtain the version of a library.
> >
> > Maybe, but the Autoconf Way is to test for features, not versions.

A couple of useful replies were already given in this thread.
I think it is also helpful to add that, for users which do want
a system that requires specific library versions (exactly, or as
minimum versions), the pkg-config tool exists, which can be used
in conjunction with autotools.

Hope that helps.