RE: library search test fails, please help

From: John Calcote
Subject: RE: library search test fails, please help
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:14:50 -0700

Aragon,

As you've already figured out, AC_CHECK_LIB was designed for C linkage. That
means that you'd need to name your function exactly as it is exported by
your library - eg., ZN8cpputils4flipEd (minus the leading underscore
character) - in order to trick the macro into finding it. This is a hack,
but it's better than redefining your function with C linkage in your
library.

Autoconf does appear to provide a framework for different languages. But a
quick examination of /usr/share/autoconf/autoconf/c.m4 shows that the C++
version of AC_LANG_CALL (used by AC_CHECK_LIB) is just a copy of the C
version of that macro. Other languages can't get away with such a cavalier
attitude (as they're not as close to the C language). But it would be nice
if someone would rewrite AC_LANG_CALL(C++) to actually handle C++ linkage.

In fairness, this may cause more problems than it would solve, because while
some might want to look for a function exported with C++ linkage, MOST C++
libraries provide at least ONE global function that is exported with C
linkage. The idea with AC_CHECK_LIB isn't to find the function you want to
call here, but rather to simply be pretty sure that the library you've found
is the one you're interested in. If you want to find a specific function,
then try AC_SEARCH_LIBS. But be careful, you'll find some of the same issues
with that macro, as well as some issues of its own.

Kind regards,
John