Re: Portably setting library search paths by passing -R or -rpath

From: Frank Lahm
Subject: Re: Portably setting library search paths by passing -R or -rpath
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 19:39:54 +0100

2009/3/5 Frank Lahm <address@hidden>:
> Hello all,
>
> in our package (netatalk) we consume Berkeley-DB.
> We have a configure option --with-bdb that can take a <path>
>
> In order to properly test and use the library at <path>, we must pass
> -R <path> or -Wl,-rpath=<path> with LDFLAGS/CFLAGS on some (maybe
> all?) platforms.

Well, a little bit more of digging, thinking, googling and I think I
know what to do.

I have two stages where I must be able to compile, link and run code
using the lib:
A. conftest code at configure time
B. the build product at runtime (of course)

B is working by means of autoconf/libtool.
A is giving me problems because afaict as described I must inject -R
or -rpath depending on the environment.

Presumably I should be able to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH instead to solve A,
which afaict should be quite portable.

Correct? Portable?

Thanks!

-Frank