Re: INSTALL_SCRIPT question...

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: INSTALL_SCRIPT question...
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:36:43 -0600

On 4/20/2009 6:15 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
John Calcote<address@hidden>  writes:

Quick question for someone who knows...

Anyone out there know why the INSTALL_DATA variable resolves to
$(INSTALL) -m 0644, but the INSTALL_SCRIPT and INSTALL_PROGRAM
variables only resolve to $INSTALL, and not $INSTALL -m 0755?

I always assumed it was because install defaults to 755.
If it's true that install defaults to setting installed files to executable, then that's probably the best reason for not doing it. I'd heard recently that some platforms require (for instance) 0775 for installed files. If install defaults to "doing the right thing" for executables, then not telling it to do anything specific is probably the best approach.

Thanks!
John