gettext catalog files installation location

From: Joey Mingrone
Subject: gettext catalog files installation location
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 12:55:20 -0700

Hello;

I'm still working on the FreeBSD port I wrote about a few days ago.

I think the last main hurdle is to get the gettext catalog files to
install in /usr/local/share/locale/ instead of the default
/usr/local/lib/locale/ (when configure is run with no arguments).

Even when I run:

./configure --localedir=/usr/local/share/locale

the directory tree starting at /usr/local/lib/locale is created (e.g.
/usr/local/lib/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/parcellite.mo gets installed).

The source is still available at
http://mingrone.org/misc/parcellite-0.9.1 for anyone willing to take a
look.

Thanks for any help in advance.

As an aside, it seems strange the catalog files get installed in
/usr/local/lib/locale/ since it says on the gettext manual page: "The
default value for dir_name is system specific. For the GNU library,
and for packages adhering to its conventions, it's:
/usr/local/share/locale".

Joey