Re: autotest testsuite hangs, help!

From: johnwohlbier
Subject: Re: autotest testsuite hangs, help!
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:26:04 +0000

On May 11, 2009 9:59am, address@hidden wrote:
I have a testsuite hanging and for the life of me I can't figure out what is going on. For some sub-libraries within my project autotest works fine. For other sub-libraries it hangs. The libraries share common local.at and atconfig files, etc. In fact the Makefile.am's for the different sub-libraries are made by the same bootstrap script, which also copies the same local.at into the different locations. So it almost feels like the *source code* for the different sub-libraries is the culprit, even though that sounds crazy.

The hang looks like this:

address@hidden test]$ make check

make check-local

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wohlbier/pika_relay/branches/build-branch/build/lib/pika_utilities/test'

/usr/bin/autom4te --language=autotest -I '/home/wohlbier/pika_relay/branches/build-branch/src/pika_utilities/test' -o testsuite.tmp testsuite.at

mv testsuite.tmp testsuite

/bin/sh 'testsuite'

## ------------------------------------------ ##

## pika_utilities test suite: pika_utilities. ##

## ------------------------------------------ ##

Running ./testsuite -v gives the same thing. I've shrunk the testsuite.at to call only one test, and again the test is a macro that works within other sublibraries!

At this point I think I'm looking for recommendations on how to debug this. I can provide any information that is needed. Thanks.

I reduced my macro down to a minimal set and I think I have some more information. When I use this macro
m4_define([CCS_AT_RUN],
[AT_BANNER([testing $1])
AT_SETUP([$1])
echo "this is $1"
AT_TESTED([])
AT_CLEANUP])

Invoked like this
CCS_AT_RUN([test_Comp_Cart_Part],[1 2 4])

and make check, followed by ./testsuite -v I get

address@hidden test]$ ./testsuite -v
## ------------------------------------------ ##
## pika_utilities test suite: pika_utilities. ##
## ------------------------------------------ ##

pika utilities

testing test_Comp_Cart_Part

1. testsuite.at:7: testing ...
this is test_Comp_Cart_Part
1. testsuite.at:7: ok

## ------------- ##
## Test results. ##
## ------------- ##

1 test was successful.
address@hidden test]$

However, If I add $1 to the argument of AT_TESTED, viz
m4_define([CCS_AT_RUN],
[AT_BANNER([testing $1])
AT_SETUP([$1])
echo "this is $1"
AT_TESTED([$1])
AT_CLEANUP])

and call it in the same way, I get the hang.

Does this glean any information for anyone?

Thanks.
jgw