Re: AC_CHECK_FUNC with -Werror

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_FUNC with -Werror
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 21:11:10 +0200

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Ralf Wildenhues<address@hidden> wrote:
> Not use -Werror.  Seriously, it is impossible to get all configure tests
> [...]
> Just add -Werror at 'make' time if you need to use it.

but this is easy to forget I think...
We have some ARG_ENABLE which then in case does some
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -Werror"
(the name of the option depends on $CC of course) after
some (most?) checks.
I guess this also is wrong because CFLAGS shouldn't be set?
Also the order matters which isn't good either.
But how else?

Also I dislike that our macros that implement e.g. -Werror and friends have
to know all supported compilers and their switches. Is there a better way
to do that?

> (but a good editor that parses 'make' output does just as well).

  (...maybe team mates that need -Werror [because otherwise check
   in warnings] tend not to use editors that parse make output... SCNR ;) )

oki,

Steffen