AC_ARG_PROGRAM was called before AC_CANONICAL_TARGET

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: AC_ARG_PROGRAM was called before AC_CANONICAL_TARGET
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 10:22:27 -0500

Hi all,

I've got a macro that needs $target_cpu which is available from
AC_CANONICAL_TARGET.  Within my macro I use
AC_REQUIRE([AC_CANONICAL_TARGET]) which triggers the following
warning:

configure.ac:47: warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM was called before AC_CANONICAL_TARGET
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:1723: AC_CANONICAL_TARGET is expanded from...
m4/acx_mkl.m4:64: ACX_MKL is expanded from...
configure.ac:47: the top level

The easy way to eliminate the warning is to include
AC_CANONICAL_TARGET early on in my configure.ac.  However, I'd like to
have the macro strictly enforce the requirement of AC_CANONICAL_TARGET
because I anticipate putting it up on the Autoconf macro archive once
it gets a bit more mature.
Are there any recommended ways to rectify the warning under that use case?

Thanks,
Rhys