Re: patch and 'git am'

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: patch and 'git am'
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 21:38:09 +0200

Hi Eric,

> Git did not like your patch - I could not apply it with either 'git am' or
> 'git apply'

Patches that I send should be applied with "patch -p0". git probably did
not like my patch because it was a context diff. I send context diffs or
unified diffs, depending on which of the two is more readable: One-liner
fixes are more readable as unified diffs, whereas large block changes
(such as indentation changes) are more readable as context diffs.

> I had to do more work to get it into good shape to play with it.

I'm sorry about that. Rule of thumb: If the mail has the form of a git
patch, use 'git am', otherwise use 'patch -p0' or 'patch -p1'.

Bruno