Access for Developer to Solaris machines

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Access for Developer to Solaris machines
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 12:14:43 +0100

Sun Microsystems have donated a Sun T5240 (16 core) machine to the University of Washington for Sage development.

http://www.sagemath.org/

Any *serious* developer of a project used in Sage (which includes autoconf), would be permitted access to the machine for testing autoconf.

You probably have access to Solaris boxes anyway, but in case your access is limited, and you want 24/7 access, it can be arranged. Drop me a private email, telling me what your involvement is with autoconf, and a preferred user name. I can then create an account.

The T5240 is a sun4v machine, using Sun's CoolThreads technology. It has 128 virtual processors (16 cores, 8 hardware threads per code). However, it is ill suited to running one or two CPU bound processes at a time - the performance is only achievable if a lot of users are using the machine, or the code is written to exploit parallel machines.

This offer can be extended to developer of any tools in Sage (automake, gcc, etc etc). Developers of libtool, ecl, mpir, mpfr etc etc have all taken up offers of access.

dave