Re: Why is this perl checking code not working for me?

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Why is this perl checking code not working for me?
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 12:40:09 -0700

"Dr. David Kirkby" <address@hidden> writes:

> Oops, I marked the wrong line!! The error is on 4686 anyway, but I did not
> even show that correctly.

Sorry, I was really too tired when I wrote that and didn't pay attention
to what I'm doing.  Here's an actually tested version.

AC_DEFUN([AX_PROG_PERL_VERSION],
[AC_CACHE_CHECK([for Perl version $1 or later], [ax_cv_prog_perl_version],
    [AS_IF(["$PERL" -e 'require $1;' >/dev/null 2>&1],
        [ax_cv_prog_perl_version=yes],
        [ax_cv_prog_perl_version=no])])
 AS_IF([test x"$ax_cv_prog_perl_version" = xyes], [$2], [$3])])

> If you do get a bit of code that works, would you release it under the
> GPL2? I know it probably seems a bit pointless asking on such a small
> bit of code, but it would be good to know.

Not the GPL v2, because I have a personal rule against ever releasing code
under a license that's longer than the code.  :)  I think the GPL v2 is a
rather ridiculous license for Autoconf macros, at least ones that aren't
of the size and complexity of, say, Automake or Libtool's.

I hereby relinquish any claim to any copyright that I may have in the
above work, whether granted under contract or by operation of law or
international treaty, and hereby commit to the public, at large, that I
shall not, at any time in the future, seek to enforce any copyright in
this work against any person or entity, or prevent any person or entity
from copying, publishing, distributing or creating derivative works of
this work.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>