Re: Issue with ./config.status --recheck

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Issue with ./config.status --recheck
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:08:19 +0200

Hello Thomas,

* Thomas Petazzoni wrote on Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:33:20AM CEST:
> Le Fri, 07 Aug 2009 14:11:42 -0400, Peter Johansson a écrit :
>
> > I'm not sure if it solves your problem, but it is a bad habit to set
> > environment variables before ./configure, instead set them at
> > commandline so configure has a chance to detect them. In your case it
> > would mean:
> >
> >     ./configure
> > CC=/usr/local/xtools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/bin/arm-linux-gcc
> > \
> > STRIP=/usr/local/xtools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/bin/arm-linux-strip
> > \ --target=arm-linux --host=arm-linux --build=i386-pc-linux-gnu
>
> It indeed fixed the problem. Thanks for the hint. I carefully
> re-read ./configure --help, and it's true that the given syntax is to
> pass VAR=VALUE after ./configure, not before.
>
> The fact that it works "almost" when variables are passed before is
> pretty confusing.

The reason for that is both for backwards compatibility (the Old Way was
to pass it in the environment only) and for flexibility (some complex
software packages like GCC set environment variables in toplevel scripts
and expect them to be honored in sub scripts, or so).

By default, configure stores and re-stores the settings of those
environment variables declared as "precious" (see 'info Autoconf
--index-search precious').  You, the configure.ac author, can add
variables to the list of precious ones (and various Autoconf macros
do, e.g., AC_PROG_CC makes $CC precious).

HTH.