How can I check an environment variable?

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: How can I check an environment variable?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:18:29 +0100

What's the best way to check if an environment variable is set? I want to allow a user to set an environment variable

$ SAGE_USE_BROKEN_TOOLS=yes
$ export SAGE_USE_BROKEN_TOOLS

then the configure script check if SAGE_USE_BROKEN_TOOLS is set to 'yes' or not and behave differently whether or not it is set.

Obviously the configure script checks things like CC, but can I add a check for my own variable?