Re: Cached variables from nested configures

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Cached variables from nested configures
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:25:21 +0200

Hello Dave,

* dave wrote on Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 04:20:20AM CEST:
> I am using bash and Fedora;
>
> I tried to remove a variable from a configure.in and after
> reconfiguration it seems to come back
>
> Here is an excerpt from configure.in:
>
> if test "$itcl_cv_prog_gcc" = "yes" ; then
>     CFLAGS="$CFLAGS  -fwritable-strings -Wshadow -Wtraditional -Wall"
> fi
>
> but after I remove
>
> if test "$itcl_cv_prog_gcc" = "yes" ; then
>     CFLAGS="$CFLAGS  -Wshadow -Wtraditional -Wall"
> fi
>
> and reconfigure it still shows the variable - from config.log:
>
> configure:3516: result: yes
> configure:3532: checking default compiler flags
> configure:3541: result: -fwritable-strings -Wshadow -Wtraditional -Wall
>
> How do I make sure it is cleared from the nested configure structure?

Well, I can't really tell you from the information you have given so
far, I'm afraid.  Can you post a link to the tarball of the package you
are trying to build?  Can it be possible that the same code snippet that
adds to CFLAGS in the sub configure script occurs also in the toplevel
configure script, and so you'd need to adjust the toplevel configure.ac
as well and regenerate configure there?

The value of CFLAGS is typically stored in config.cache files, too; but
changes there are normally complained about by configure when loading
the cache file again, so that doesn't seem a likely cause to me.