Re: Finding dependencies in lib64 or lib

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Finding dependencies in lib64 or lib
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:53:42 +0100

On 02/11/2010 12:37 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

Hi,

I've been looking over configure.in for the Ganglia project.

The project depends on some other libs, and their locations can be
specified with configure arguments, for example:

--with-libconfuse=/usr/local

The original configure.in would then try -L/usr/local/lib

However, there are platforms where 64 bit libraries should be in
*/lib64, e.g. the search for libconfuse should try /usr/local/lib64 on
those platforms.

My initial solution is to test $host

LIB_SUFFIX=lib
case $host in
x86_64-redhat-linux*)
   LIB_SUFFIX=lib64
esac

but a proper solution

A proper solution is not to try tricks like the one above, but to let the user specify the directory he needs, if he needs special settings.

In most cases he won't have to, because on e.g. on redhat-based systems,
/usr/lib64 is in of GCC's default library search path.

needs to test against all the architectures listed
in the FHS:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#LIB64

and also know about the non-FHS compliant cases (e.g. Debian)

Is anyone aware of macros for doing this and helping me set LIB_SUFFIX
correctly for a particular $host?
Seriously, simply not caring about "LIB_SUFFIX"es is the best solution.