Re: Autoupdate and AC 2.65

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: Autoupdate and AC 2.65
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 07:41:27 -0500

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
> According to NightStrike on 2/24/2010 8:48 AM:
>> When I ran autoupdate from 2.65 against my configure.ac that I
>> manually updated to 2.65, I noticed this change:
>>
>> -AC_PREREQ([2.65])
>> +AC_PREREQ(2.65)
>>
>> Why would autoupdate want to remove the quoting about the version number?
>
> Another instance of a low-priority bug that no one has spent time figuring
> out how to patch.  In my opinion, given the current state of both autoscan
> and autoupdate, a developer should use them for guidance, but not trust
> them as final output.  In other words, a minimal patch for 2.66 (if we
> don't go the route of the more complicated patch of actually fixing the
> output to match good practice) would be to at least be more prominent in
> the manual about the need to inspect the output of these tools for
> questionable content.

As a user, I would prefer it if I could trust the tools.  As you may
notice by all of my messages to these lists, I am constantly deferring
to the better judgement of what autoconf/automake developers put forth
in the mailing lists, manual, and in the provided tools.  If the tool
is telling me to not quote it, I'm going to think that I should not
quote it.

Anything you can do to improve the reliability of the scan/update
tools would be greatly appreciated.