Re: Motivation for renaming configure.in to configure.ac and its effect?

From: Peter Breitenlohner
Subject: Re: Motivation for renaming configure.in to configure.ac and its effect?
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:55:50 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Steffen Dettmer wrote:

I'm trying to understand the motivation for renaming configure.in
to configure.ac. If I remember correctly it was related to the
fact that ./config.status or whoever else processes .in files.

IMHO, the only real reason to rename configure.in to configure.ac is, that
some future Autoconf version may cease to accept the 'bugward' compatible
old name.  Everything else is philosophy/ideology.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <address@hidden>