Re: Nesting m4 macros

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Nesting m4 macros
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 15:58:50 +0200

On Monday 06 September 2010, Matthias Wichtlhuber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first let me thank you for your answer.
>
> > It seems to me that you are *greatly* misunderstanding how
> > autoconf works.  Have you read any tutorial about the autotools?
> >  If not, I suggest
> > this:<http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~adl/autotools.html>, which I
> > find it very clear, and which helped me a lot in the past.
>
> It's even worse, I have no understanding of the whole build process
> under *nix. I'm a Windows developer porting some C code.
The tutorial I linked should help a bit with this, too.  But you might
still need to find/read documentation about Unix concepts and the like
(I don't know what your level of expertise with unix-like systems is).
> You are absolutely right. No macros in the configuration script. To
> be honest, I have been working with autotools for three days now
> and all those files and tools are still very confusing.
Yes, autotools are very powerful, but have a steep learning curve.
> My main source is the autoconf manual.
Ouch.  The autoconf manual is thought as a reference manual (and it
succeeds in being a great reference manual IMHO), but it's unusable
as a tutorial/introduction.

> However, it seems to work now, but the next problem is in sight:
> Some of my sources should only be compiled conditionally.
This would technically be a question for <address@hidden>, since
it is an Automake problem, not an Autoconf one.  Said that...

> if WANT_CUDA then
... you can solve it by using simply:

  if WANT_CUDA
  libcudaHDR_la_SOURCES += cudaImageDataHandle.cpp deviceManager.cpp

(note: no "then").

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Matthias
>
> P.S.: I will do my homework now and have a look at the tutorials ;)
Enjoy the read :-)

Regards,
   Stefano