minimum m4 version

From: Adam Mercer
Subject: minimum m4 version
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 00:21:21 -0600

Hi

I'm trying to track down a strange build problem on an old Linux
system (Debian Woody), I think it may be related to an m4 issue. What
is the minimum version of m4 that is required for modern autotools
systems as I can't find anything in the release notes (apologies if
I've missed the appropriate information), Woody has 1.4 by default?

Cheers

Adam

PS: This is for building a BOINC application so the older the system the better.