Re: How to test a particular <lib>X11 feature ?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: How to test a particular <lib>X11 feature ?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 08:35:38 +0100

Hello Konstantin,

* Konstantin Andreev wrote on Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:17:08AM CET:
> I am hesitant, whether X{wc,mb}LookupString work in every X11 (client)
> library, if "input method" is turned off.
>
> I'd like to make a test for them, but testing requires live X-server
> (to be able to connect to).
>
> Is there an approach I can use for test, or it is hopeless ?

I can't really tell you how such a test would be implemented, but
consider for a moment that you might not be interested in what the
build system, i.e., the one you are running configure on right now,
has in terms of capabilities.  Right?  If so, then a test at program
run time would seem more appropriate than one at configure time.  That
way you also get a chance to test that particular X server which the
user might want to use ATM, e.g., a remote one.

Typical distribution build daemons have very little software installed
and most likely not a running X server.

Hope that helps.