Re: Arithmetic Shift

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Arithmetic Shift
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 12:09:32 -0800

On 12/11/2010 06:16 AM, Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:
> You mismatch the preprocessor function (find the LONG_MAX macro and
> replace it by it's definition found somewhere in header) with the
> function of compiler (inject proper search path to the preprocessor if
> compiler redefines some system's headers).
>

>> > The situation with -1 >> 1 is similar.
>> >
> No, because replacement of macro by it's value is essentially
> search-and-replace, while evaluation of arithmetics expressions is
> essentially code interpretation.

Sorry, I don't understand your point.  It seems to be
claiming that the preprocessor doesn't do arithmetic
(a claim that is obviously incorrect), but your earlier
comments suggest that you understand things well enough
not to be making claims like that.

Anyway, I don't think it matters.  We seem to be agreeing
that autoconf isn't needed here.