Passing flags to Makefile.ac's in subdirs

From: dzinoviev
Subject: Passing flags to Makefile.ac's in subdirs
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 05:12:45 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I have a project that uses autoconf/automake. There is the root directory
and several subdirectories, each having a Makefile.ac, and a configure.ac in
the root directory. I want each Makefile.ac to have the same macro
definition (say, FOO = bar). Can I do this in a centralized manner through
configure.ac? If yes, how? If not, what would you recommend to keep
Makefile.ac's consistent? Thank you!