Re: autoconf suggestion

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: autoconf suggestion
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 05:45:07 -0700

[adding autoconf - I prefer discussions to be public rather than to just me]

On 02/15/2011 11:19 PM, Robert Dell wrote:
> Might I make a suggestion?
> EVERY time I run the configure script, it checks for the same things,
> over and over
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for string.h... yes
> checking for memory.h... yes
> checking for strings.h... yes
> checking for inttypes.h... yes
> checking for stdint.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> and so on...
>
> My suggestion is to store these into a file someplace and load that file
> when you configure and add an option if you wish to force
> configuration checking instead of reading from the file.  I don't know
> about most systems but in my system, the contents rarely change.
> storing these values seems to me a good idea.

In fact, so good that it's already implemented!

Run ./configure -C to set up config.cache to hold that information, and
to reuse it on the next configure run.

If you're brave, run ./configure --cache-file=/path/to/shared/file.  But
be aware that this has potential to silently get things wrong if two
projects use the same cache name with different semantics.

Read this thread for more:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2011-02/msg00020.html

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682