Re: Multiple subdirectories with non-similar configure needs

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: Multiple subdirectories with non-similar configure needs
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 01:06:14 -0700

Ralf wrote:
> * Harlan Stenn wrote on Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 09:41:33AM CEST:
> > Ralf wrote:
> > > The trick is: you adjust the flags in subpkg/configure.gnu, then call
> > > subpkg/configure with them.  The subpkg/configure.gnu file might
> > > actually belong to the toplevel package.  A hack, but fairly easy.
> >
> > In the srcdir?  How would that work for distcheck, which, as I recall,
> > uses a read-only srcdir to simulate building from read-only media.
>
> Well, put it in the distribution:
>   EXTRA_DIST = subpkg/configure.gnu

I'll think about that.

The use-case I have is I'm bootstrapping a package that has a bunch of
sub-packages.  The bootstrap process will "temporarily" install things
in a bootstrap directory, so I need to be able to pass in the -I
(definitely) and -L (maybe, not that far along yet) args for the "rest"
of the bootstrap tools.

Since that "parent" configure uses --prefix= to set this bootstrap
installation directory, I might be able to have configure.gnu say
"configure ... CPPFLAGS='${prefix}/include'" (more or less) and then I
would not need to worry about customizing the location of the include
files on each "run".

> > But I'll read up on it anyway, to see if configure.gnu can be put in the
> > build-dir before running srcdir/configure .
>
> Yep.

This is a work-in-process, and I am whacking a path thru the jungle...
Sometimes I even have to backtrack and try a different route.

But it's kinda fun.