Re: autoreconf and gettext

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: autoreconf and gettext
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 16:52:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 May 2011, Eric Blake wrote:

On 05/31/2011 01:51 AM, Vincent Torri wrote:

Hey,

I have a library that is using gettext is available, that is, in
configure.ac, i use:

m4_ifdef([AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION], [
AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION([0.12.1])
])

Why force such an old version?  Most distros support at least 0.17,
which comes with quite a few improvements over 0.12.1.

I actually do not manage that library and I just copied/pasted the code, but thank you for the tip.

Unfortunately, when I use autoreconf -f -i on a system that has no
gettext, there is an error saying that autopoint is not available while
the package is using gettext.

How can I fix that problem ?

Right now, autoreconf greps configure.ac for /^AM_GNU_GETTEXST_VERSION/,
rather than using autoconf --trace mechanisms.  Which is unfortunate,
because for situations like this, it gets the wrong answers.

You can foil autoreconf's grep by inserting whitespace or using extra m4
quoting, such as:

m4_ifdef([AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION], [
 AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION([...])
])

which would probably fix autoreconf on your bare-bones system, but I
don't know if that will break the running of gettext on systems where it
is installed.

Unfortunately, it will break if gettext is available. According to gettext dev, AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION must not have spaces before it.

Ultimately, it would be super nice if we could convert autoreconf over
to using --trace mechanisms for seeing which macros are actually called,
rather than just grepping for magic strings.

Ok, so i will not use autoreconf for now.

thank you

Vincent Torri