Re: _AC_LANG_ABBREV on Mac

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: _AC_LANG_ABBREV on Mac
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 14:40:42 -0600

On 06/07/2011 02:30 PM, Jim Edwards wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> configure:23907: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_ECHO
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure:23907: error: possibly undefined macro: _AC_LANG_ABBREV
>
> I see that both these macros exist in my /usr/share/autoconf tree - why
> isn't it finding them?

Most likely, the real problem is that you have incorrect m4 quoting
somewhere earlier in your configure.ac file (possible with overquoting,
or the use of # to start an unintended comment; also possible with
underquoting causing you to pass a macro's expansion as an argument to
some other macro which changes the number of arguments or even the
detection of the ending ')' to that outer macro).  Error messages like
this usually mean that you have seriously confused autoconf on what
macros should be expanded.  Look at line 23907 in the resulting
configure file to see what text surrounds the unexpanded AS_ECHO, and
then try to figure out what area of your configure.ac was responsible
for generating that portion of configure, in order to find out where
your mistaken m4 quoting occurs.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682