Build orchestration

From: GAVA Cédric
Subject: Build orchestration
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 21:26:36 +0200

Dear Autoconfers

Following the subject " Multiple subdirectories with non-similar configure
needs" a few weeks ago, I'm thinking of the orchestration of the build of many
components.

This subject is above Autoconf, but, as autoconf and autotools implements build
processes based on linux platform, it seems a good point to start from and ask
the question :

Does anybody know about a tool that, like Maven historically do for java
programs, enable the orchestration of the builds phases of C products on a
linux platform ?

If you don't see what I mean by "orchestration" let explain what I mean (This
term seems therefore close to continuous-integration) :

Let me explain what I mean :
For each component I use to build my product, I have to do the following phases
:
        Check the CONFIGURATION of the component for this build process

        Extract the sources/
        If sources is to be patched, then save the source in another directory,
and patch
        If sources got configure.ac but not configure, then copy the
configure.ac in another directory and run autoreconf
        If sources got a configure then go in the build directory, and launch
configure
        If sources is configurable from dist directory, go in build directory
and launch the configuration
        If Makefile exist : Launch make

        Etc...

Some process can be complex because :
        Two components of the same final product may require the configuration
of the same dependency in two ways...

Example : final product is composed of a binary "prog-a", and a uml-linux with
an appropriate initrd.gz which, contains "prog-b"
The "prog-a" runs on the workstation, and depends on  "dep", and can be
compiled with default gcc...
The "prog-b" runs on uml-linux, with a different arch, and depends also on
"dep", but compiled with a cross-compiled version of gcc...

They leads to the creation of multiple directories (extract, patched,
configured, build, install....) that shall be organized is some good-maybe
standard- way.

Can somebody tell me if there is an open-source tool, supported by community,
and widely accepted on linux/autotool/make platform to cope with this problem ?

Thank you in advance
Best regards

Cédric Gava
Software engineer
Embedded system and MBSE

ALYOTECH TECHNOLOGIES - société du groupe ALYOTECH FRANCE
ZAC des Ramassiers
Bâtiment Omega
22, bd Déodat de Séverac
F-31770 Colomiers

Tél: +33 (0)5 62 16 79 93
Fax: +33 (0)5 62 16 79 60
www.alyotech.fr

  N'imprimez ce mail que si c'est vraiment nécessaire.
This message and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient or his authorized agent, please be advised that copying, distributing
or revealing the contents of this message is expressly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, kindly notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail, and delete this message from your system