Re: Do not use deprecation flags in releases

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Do not use deprecation flags in releases
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:34:32 -0600

On 06/19/2011 04:55 PM, Javier Jardón wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for the best solution to deal with the deprecation flags
> for Glib/GTK+.
> Most project use them incodiotionally, so releases will break if a in
> Glib/GTK+ deprecation is introduced.
> I've propossed this code [1] to add to our configure.ac files, and I'd
> like to know if there is a better solution for this
>
> Regards
>
> [1]  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2011-June/msg00030.html

I'm not sure what your question is, at least as it relates to autoconf.
 Are you trying to determine a way to change the default of a
configure-time option depending on whether you are building from the
development tree vs. building from a release tarball?

> dnl if .git directory is present, considering we are working in the repository
> if test -d ".git"; then
>         default_strict=yes
> else
>         default_strict=no
> fi

That doesn't work with VPATH builds; you may want to use:

test -d "$(srcdir)/.git"

instead.

> AC_ARG_ENABLE(strict, AS_HELP_STRING([--enable-strict],
>                 [Enable strict compilation options]),
> enable_strict=$enableval,
>                 enable_strict=$default_strict)

Under-quoted.  For recommended quoting, you need:

AC_ARG_ENABLE([strict], [AS_HELP_STRING([--enable-strict],
  [Enable strict compilation options])], [enable_strict=$enableval],
  [enable_strict=$default_strict])

> if test x$enable_strict != xno; then
>         CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED
> -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED"
> fi

But yes, that approach looks reasonable as a way to make development of
your package default to a different strictness than users of your
tarball, all while still allowing explicit overrides of the default for
either build situation.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682