working and AUX dirs while running configure

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: working and AUX dirs while running configure
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:26:16 -0700

I have the need (or at least a strong desire) to run config.guess (and
therefore config.sub) from some scripts that I invoke from inside
'configure'.

I'm noticing that the "current directory" seems to be the srcdir if I
put this code just after "common initial stuff", and in the builddir if
I put this code a bit later.

Regardless, the PATH does not contain AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, and I even if
it did, that path is generally "not rooted" so it's not all that easy to
use because it is srcdir-relative and depending on where I am in
'configure', I may be in the srcdir and I may be in the builddir.

I'm also aware that some folks may have shell RC files that will re-set
the PATH when a subshell is spawned, which makes this all even trickier.

I'm looking for a good solution here.

Suggestions?

--
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>