Re: System files and "make distcheck"

From: cwr
Subject: Re: System files and "make distcheck"
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:08:29 +0100

Quoting Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>:

Hello,

* address@hidden wrote on Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 03:38:43PM CEST:
I'm building a package which on installation writes to a file used
to configure the GUI - this file is always in /etc, no matter where
the package is installed.

What if I'm trying to bootstrap a new system, say, whose root lives in
/sys-root or so?

When installing, that's not a problem,
since installation is done as root, however I haven't found a way
of letting me run "make distcheck" without error, since that is done
as an ordinary user.

The entry in the main Makefile.am is approxmately:
install-data-local:
        grep xxx /etc/yyy || sed zzz /etc/yyy

Make sure the target directory is not /etc but something like
$(DISTDIR)$(sysconfdir), so that both
  make install DESTDIR=/sys-root

and
  make install prefix=/sys-root

have a chance of succeeding.

It looks as if the standard GNU installation method would require
every user to run ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc, whereas most would
just try the usual ./configure && make.  Given the choice between
a convenient installation for the user, and a working distcheck, I
think I'll have to take the convenient installation.

The other approach would be to run the command grep xx || sed yyy || true,
so that the installation never fails, but since the setup's a bit
obscure if it failed that would cause even more problems for users.

Thanks for the ideas, anyway - Will