Re: LC_ALL and UTF-8 directory names

From: Andrew W. Nosenko
Subject: Re: LC_ALL and UTF-8 directory names
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 15:23:21 +0300

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 14:59, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Paul!
>
> Le 4 oct. 2011 à 08:42, Paul Eggert a écrit :
>
>> On 10/03/11 07:39, Akim Demaille wrote:
>>> The JVM is quite happy with that.  Unless you make the name "invalid"
>>> by setting LC_ALL to C for instance, which Autoconf does.
>>
>> Eeuuuw!  (I think that's the proper technical term. :-)
>
> In French that would be « Beurk ! » :)
>
>> Hmm, Autoconf itself doesn't have this issue, right?
>> as it does not use Java.  So the issue is more about
>> configure.ac files that invoke the JVM.
>
> I agree, yet I expected that if there is at least one program that has a
> problem with that, then maybe there are more.  So it would be safer if
> Autoconf took care of this in all the cases.  But I definitely agree that
> there is some balance to find, and I'm fine with deciding that this should be
> left to the troublesome cases (especially that now this message is on the
> Internet, so maybe people facing the same problem will find the correct
> diagnostic faster :).
>
>> The Autoconf-generated 'configure' code checks that the
>> output of "pwd" works when given as an argument to "cd".
>> Perhaps configure.ac programs that invoke the JVM should
>> also check the JVM equivalent of "cd", to make sure it
>> also works.  I don't offhand see how to automate this under
>> Autoconf, though, not unless Autoconf picks up a bunch
>> of Java support.
>
> I had something simpler in mind: if the locale is not C/POSIX and there are
> non ASCII characters in pwd, then warn.  And add a warning about this in
> INSTALL.  Maybe there would be way too many false positives, I don't know — I
> have no idea how many configurers use extended charsets in their directory
> names.

1. Excuse me, but what is the reason to have LC_ALL=C?  If need to
parse some [possible localized] output, then why do not set just
LC_MESSAGES?

2. Ubuntu creates some amount of directories with localized names
during install.  For example 'Templates' become 'Шаблоны' (Russian) in
my case.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <address@hidden>