How does Autoconf produce PACKAGE_URL?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: How does Autoconf produce PACKAGE_URL?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:38:55 +0200

Hi,

As you may or may not know, building Gawk on non-Posix systems uses
files in the pc/ subdirectory, which includes manually maintained
Makefile and config.h files.

For the next release of Gawk, I wrote a script to produce the
pc/config.h file from the configh.in template used by the configure
script on Posix platforms.  This script is intended to be run by the
Gawk maintainers when they produce a pretest or release tarball.

However, there's one macro in config.h for whose value I didn't find
the source in any non-generated file: PACKAGE_URL.  I can only see it
in the configure script, but since that is a generated file, it could
one day be removed from the repository, so I would like to base this
on a file that is not generated.

Could someone please point me to what I missed?

Please CC me on the replies, as I'm not subscribed to this list.

TIA