Re: simple autoconf question

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: simple autoconf question
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:43:52 -0700

On 12/20/2011 02:29 PM, Eric Gorr wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 12/20/2011 01:35 PM, Eric Gorr wrote:
>>
>>> However, running this configure script does not result in "hello world"
>>> being printed.
>>
>> Of course not.  m4_warn is a warning _at autoconf_ time.  If you want a
>> warning _at configure_ time, then you have to use AC_WARNING.  In
>> general, m4_* macros are acted on at autoconf time when doing m4
>> processing to create configure, while AC_* macros cause actions when
>> running the generated configure.
>
> Interesting.
>
> The autoconf manual indicates that AC_WARNING is obsolete and that one should
> use m4_warn instead.

Oops - serves me right for grepping the manual, rather than reading the
context of what the grep found.

> But, yes, given how I was calling things, I missed that the message was being
> printed at autoconf time.
>
> As it turns out, AC_WARNING doesn't produce anything in a configure script.

Which is exactly why it is obsolete, since the name m4_warn better
conveys what is going on.

> For the simple thing I was trying to do, it appears that AC_MSG_NOTICE is the
> macro to use.

Yes, that's the macro I meant to call out.  Sorry for adding to the
confusion.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266