Configure trying to find install-sh when AC_PROG_INSTALL is not set

From: Roger Pau Monné
Subject: Configure trying to find install-sh when AC_PROG_INSTALL is not set
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:19:54 +0100

Hello again,

After solving the config.sub and config.guess issue, I've found that
configure keeps asking for install.sh, install-sh or shtool even when
AC_PROG_INSTALL is not set in configure.ac. From what I understand
from the manual, configure should only search for install-sh and
related files when AC_PROG_INSTALL is set.

"If you use AC_PROG_INSTALL, you must include either `install-sh' or
`install.sh' in your distribution, or configure will produce an error
message saying it can't find them--even if the system you're on has a
good install program."

I have a custom install.sh, but it is located in "./..", while
config.guess and config.sub are in "." (related to where configure
is), and I can set AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([./.. .]), but configure keeps
failing, because it assumes config.sub, config.guess and install.sh
are located in the same folder.

Thanks, Roger.