how do I avoid dynamic libraries?

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: how do I avoid dynamic libraries?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:18:04 -0500

There is a problem with the libffcall (http://www.gnu.org/software/libffcall/
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/libffcall) package (un)maintained by
Bruno Haible, described in <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/274951>:

-- libffcall should be built without shared libraries as explained in
   its README[1] file (most of the code is in headers anyway &c)

-- when clisp is linked against libffcall's shared libraries it crashes
   on self-test

So, I have two questions:

1. how do I modify the libffcall's configure.in[2] so that the shared
   libraries are never built even if the user asks for them?

2. how do I modify the clisp's configure.in[3] so that it never finds
   libffcall's shared libraries even if they are mistakenly installed?

[1] http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/ffcall/README?root=libffcall

[2]
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/ffcall/configure.in?root=libffcall

[3] http://clisp.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/clisp/clisp/file/tip/src/m4/ffcall.m4