Autoconf distributions and xz dependency

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Autoconf distributions and xz dependency
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 09:28:00 -0600 (CST)

This reply should have been sent to the autoconf list rather than directly to Eric. The below is what I sent to Eric:

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, Eric Blake wrote:

The Autoconf team is considering releasing only .xz files for 2.69; if
this would be a hardship for you, and you need the .gz or .bz2 release,
please speak up now.

From what I have seen (and from its own documentation), the 'xz' implementation
is not particularly portable and it requires considerable resources (e.g. memory) so it is unwise to discard the well-supported .gz format. The world will not particularly suffer if autoconf distribution files consume more storage than absolutely required. I would toss the .bz2 format if a format needs to be removed.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn