Re: autoconf-2.68b released [beta]

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: autoconf-2.68b released [beta]
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:54:45 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Paul Eggert wrote:

Sometimes I worry that this sort of hassle discourages
others who are using older hosts -- that is, I worry that
these are not the sorts of things that are likely to get
reported on mailing lists, as these folks will likely
just shrug and give up on free software.  It's hard
to say how often it happens.  I hope it's rare.

I agree.

GNU should not intentionally do things which discourages free software development in 2nd and 3rd world countries where available computers may not be close to common specifications for new computers. In fact, the available computers might be donated computers from the late '90s or early 2000s, or special low-cost (and/or low electricity use) computers targeted for such countries.

Some people might even attempt software development on devices like the Rasberry Pi with only 256MB of memory.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn