Re: Autoconf distributions and xz dependency

From: Warren Young
Subject: Re: Autoconf distributions and xz dependency
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 09:11:55 -0700

On 3/6/2012 2:31 AM, Olaf Lenz wrote:

On 03/06/2012 10:27 AM, Alberto Luaces wrote:
Warren Young writes: At least version 1.26 implements -a, which
determines the compressor from the file suffix.

I think that may be a red herring, because...

I think since some years now I don't need to give neither -z or -a, just

tar xvf bla.tar.xz
or
tar xvf bla.tar.gz

I did some research, and this was added in GNU tar 1.15, about 8 years ago: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-tar/2004-12/msg00019.html

Serves me right for not watching ChangeLogs religiously.

Thanks all for cluing me into this new feature.

Alas, I do still use machines with tar < 1.15...