Re: default searchpaths on *BSD machines?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: default searchpaths on *BSD machines?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:37:01 +0900

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:
>> That's something a (knowledgeable) installer can do to make
>> installing packages easier on his system, but I'm mainly thinking
>> about what a _packager_ can do to make things easier for installers
>> that haven't done such a thing...
>
> It isn't really feasable for a 3rd party to guess where add-on
> packages are installed on your machine.  FreeBSD 'ports' puts packages
> under /usr/local but the packages may very well have been distributed
> with the base OS (not under /usr/local), or the user may have
> installed the packages he wants to use under some other
> prefix. Sometimes the versions under /usr/local are not the latest
> versions because the 'ports' have not been rebuilt yet after a system
> update.

Hmm, OK, so in that case, does anybody know what typical practice for
FreeBSD users is (so I can be sure to cater to it)?  They must
encounter this issue all the time.

Do they usually just specify CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS on the configure
command line [maybe via a local config.site file as mentioned]?

Thanks,

-miles

--
Accordion, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin.