Re: Autoconf caches AC_INIT arguments

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Autoconf caches AC_INIT arguments
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 16:14:00 +0200

Hi Bob.

On 05/23/2012 02:17 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> The forthcoming Automake release is about to break the means I have been
> using to automatically version my package (without manually editing
> configure.ac) for the past 9 years.

I smell a misunderstanding here: Automake 1.12.1 will only start *warning*
about such an usage, but will still work with it (there are checks in the
Automake test suite that should verify this is indeed the case).  The actual
removal of support for that usage will only take place in Automake 1.13, which
I don't see appearing if not several several months from now (i.e,, until
there is some major feature or non trivial bug-fix that justifies a new major
release).

I will try to answer the rest of your message by today (or tomorrow).

Regards,
  Stefano